Our museum complex is located in downtown Gainesville at 513 East University Avenue next to Sweetwater Branch. We are open to the public Tuesday-Saturday, 11AM-4PM. Tour information can be found below.
Upcoming Closure: August 24 at 3pm – we’re closing early for a private event
FREE (donations encouraged)
Parking is available in the museum’s parking lot and on the evenings and weekends next door at the Law Offices of Attorneys Folds & Walker and at the Alachua County Public Schools District Office.
There is one wheelchair accessible parking space in the museum’s parking lot and one behind the 1867 Matheson House.
The museum, Library & Archives, and 1867 Matheson House have an ADA accessible ramp.
The museum and Library & Archives also have ADA accessible restrooms.
The Tison Tool Barn, which is housed in a historic barn, is not ADA accessible but it is currently closed to the public, except by appointment.
Tours of the current exhibit are available free of charge. Tours of the 1867 Matheson House are $5 per person and are free for ages 12 and under. Scheduled tours for public and private school groups and home school groups are free and include an overview of local and Florida history. To schedule a tour please contact Dixie Neilson at email@example.com or 352-378-2280.
The museum gift shop is filled with historic postcards, yearbooks, maps, and an excellent collection of books on Florida history and by local authors. Members receive a 20% discount. Follow us on social media or sign up for our email newsletter to receive notification of sales. We accept cash, checks, and all major credit cards.
Our research library and archives are located across the street in the Matheson Library & Archives at 418 East University Avenue and is open by appointment only. The museum’s library books are catalogued in the collection of the Alachua County Library District and are searchable on their website. For information on making a research appointment please visit our Library & Archives page.